Becoming a Chinese Teacher
TSC Chinese Teacher Placement Program and Requirements
Mainland China Applicants - CIMSU's partner, Beijing Channel Consulting, handles our Chinese teacher recruitment in China. http://www.bcc.bj.cn/tsc/
U.S. Individuals Who Desire Teacher Certification
If you have work authorization in the U.S. and just want to become a certified Chinese language teacher, please visit MSU's Chinese Experimental Post Bachelor's Teacher Certification Program. Information can be found here.
MSU's Experimental Post BA Chinese Teacher Certification Admissions Requirements
GPA: 2.5 or higher
3 Letters of Recommendations
Transcripts (Foreign transcripts must also be evaluated by an approved U.S. based transcript evaluation agency, such as W.E.S., E.C.E. or IERF" For more information please visit this web page.)
Mandarin (Simplified) Chinese language proficiency
Native speakers-panel review
Non-native speakers ACTFL OPI scores of at least intermediate-high ACTFL OPI web site
TOEFL or IELTS
- TOEFL: iBT with an average score of 80 or above and no sub-score below 19, and a score on the writing component of 22 or above. Only the iBT will be accepted. Test scores from up to 24 months prior to admission can be submitted.
- IELTS (International English Language Testing System): with a score of 6.5 or higher.
MTTC-Basic Skills and MTTC-FR with passing scores on all sub-sections.
Candidates who are not currently residing in the US may register for, and take, the MTTC Basic Skills test when they arrive in the US. All other applicants must provide proof that they have passed the MTTC Basic Skills test to be admitted to the program.
The MTTC-FR endorsement test for Mandarin Chinese must be taken and passed by all candidates before the College of Education can recommend a candidate to the Michigan Department of Education for certification/endorsement.
- TE 891 Special Topics: Teaching Chinese as a foreign language.
- TE 818 Curriculum in Social Context (Comparison of Chinese/American education systems)
- TE 894 (A) Lab and Field Experience in Curriculum, Teaching, and Schooling
- TE 894 (B) Lab and Field Experience in Curriculum, Teaching, and Schooling
- TE 891 Special Topics: Classroom management for teaching Chinese in American schools.
- CEP 891 Social-Emotional Development of School-Age Youth
- TE 842 Advanced Methods of Elementary School Reading
- TE 843 Reading, Writing, and Reasoning in Secondary School Subjects Cohort finishes: 24 credits and certification earned
- TE 808 Inquiry into Classroom Teaching and Learning
- Choose: TE 870 Curriculum Design, Development, and Deliberation in Schools OR TE 872 Teachers as Teacher Educators